About Me

My photo
Hello my fellow Politiores Troglodytes. This Blog is a collection of Posts, Poems, & Short Stories that I write on a daily basis. If you find it entertaining, informative, and controversial, then I have done my job properly. Thank goodness too, because Karma has been on my case of late. I'm supposed to bring fifty people into the fold or I'll have to give back the part of Einstein's brain I inherited. No, I'm not one of the Scientists who got a piece of his brain when he died. Karma said, "Eat this knowledge. It'll make you smarter!" The bargain I made with Karma was, if I could change fifty people into Politiores Populos, I would be rewarded with my very own Lamborghini. So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Like what you're reading, then read on. P.S. Populo is Latin for people. Politiores is Latin for educated. Troglodytes is English for troglodytes. And Einstein's brain was stolen by Thomas Stoltz Harvey after his death in 1955 and eventually divvied up into 240 pieces. If you just read that last sentence, then you have just learned something and I'm just that much closer to fulfilling my commitment to Karma!

Monday, December 21, 2015

Put Some Yeast Into Your New Year's Eve Resolution

Why, 
oh why, 
didn't anyone ever tell me about this little secret when I was drinking beer? 
You want to know how to drink beer all night on 
New Year's Eve 
and still be the designated driver? 
First a little background. 
What? 
You can't wait to hear it? 
If I told you everything right away, 
I wouldn't be able to babble as much as I do. 
And what would the fun in that be, 
for me? 
Our Sober Guru, 
Doctor Joe,
as he was fondly called, 
was - 
Educated at Harvard with a troika of degrees, a BA, a JD, and an MBA. The late-Joseph Owades was a flat-out genius. With a PhD in biochemistry from Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute and an early job in the fermentation sciences department at Fleischmann's, (Fleischmann's Yeast) Owades probably knew more about fermentation and alcohol metabolism than perhaps any man who has ever lived. In fact, he has been called "The best brewer who's ever lived." He used that immense knowledge to eventually become a consultant for most of the progenitors of America's early craft brewing movement such as Anchor Brewing in San Francisco, New Amsterdam Brewing in New York, and the Boston Beer Company in, you guessed it, Boston. There he became good friends with Jim Koch, helped perfect Boston Lager, and passed on to Jim his little yeast secret. "One teaspoon of yeast per beer, right before you start drinking." You see, what Owades knew was that active dry yeast has an enzyme in it called alcohol dehydrogenases (ADH). Roughly put, ADH is able to break alcohol molecules down into their constituent parts of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. Which is the same thing that happens when your body metabolizes alcohol in its liver. Owades realized if you also have that enzyme in your stomach when the alcohol first hits it, the ADH will begin breaking it down before it gets into your bloodstream and, thus, your brain. "And it will mitigate – not eliminate – but mitigate the effects of alcohol!" By Aaron Goldfarb for Esquire
There you have it. 
Jim Koch, 
the guy you see on Television all the time selling his wares, 
has been drinking this way for years, 
so too can you. 
Put some yeast into some yogurt right before you drink 
and maybe, 
just maybe, 
we will have one less drunk driver on the road for 
New Year's Eve. 

This is,
If You Decide To Carry White Powder Around With You On New Year's Eve - Make Sure The Bag Has A Fleischmann's Yeast Label On It,
Jim Hauenstein,

And,

“I have absolutely no pleasure in the stimulants in which I sometimes so madly indulge. It has not been in the pursuit of pleasure that I have periled life and reputation and reason. It has been the desperate attempt to escape from torturing memories, from a sense of insupportable loneliness and a dread of some strange impending doom.” 
- Edgar Allan Poe -

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Like what you are reading or don't like what you see.
Set up my Blog as your Homepage,
or sign up as a Follower,
or leave a Comment,
and I'll answer you in a Post.
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment