About Me

My photo
Hello my fellow Politiores Troglodytes. This Blog is a collection of Posts, Poems, & Short Stories that I write on a daily basis. If you find it entertaining, informative, and controversial, then I have done my job properly. Thank goodness too, because Karma has been on my case of late. I'm supposed to bring fifty people into the fold or I'll have to give back the part of Einstein's brain I inherited. No, I'm not one of the Scientists who got a piece of his brain when he died. Karma said, "Eat this knowledge. It'll make you smarter!" The bargain I made with Karma was, if I could change fifty people into Politiores Populos, I would be rewarded with my very own Lamborghini. So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Like what you're reading, then read on. P.S. Populo is Latin for people. Politiores is Latin for educated. Troglodytes is English for troglodytes. And Einstein's brain was stolen by Thomas Stoltz Harvey after his death in 1955 and eventually divvied up into 240 pieces. If you just read that last sentence, then you have just learned something and I'm just that much closer to fulfilling my commitment to Karma!

Wednesday, August 4, 2021

TwoBuckHowie: The Man: The Band: The Music: The Legend - Part Uno - By Electric Dave

I love rock ‘n’ roll, so put another dime in the jukebox, baby!” 
--Alan Merrill
 
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else while you're uncool.” 
--Lester Bangs
  
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there.” 
--Rumi 
 
   Hello, my fellow Travelers and Troglodytes! This is Electric Dave, and, yes, I’m a friend of Jim’s. [Hangs head, then slowly raises head, stares out into the audience defiantly, and says:] And I’m damn proud of it! Jim recently wrote a blog about receiving a DVD of a film his brother Al shot of our band back in the 80s, and Jim was kind enough to send me a copy. I foolishly wrote back to him to thank him for it and for asking me to join his band in the first place way back in the day and lavished some other praise in his general direction. Big mistake. Basically, he’s now blackmailing me by threatening to publish my letter in its entirety if I don’t come up with some copy for his blog. So, to give you a clue, this is how this guy operates . . . . 
   Be that as it may, this will be the first installment of the amazing saga of TWO BUCK HOWIE and his musical and pharmacological exploits during the years I played guitar in his bands (roughly 1984-1989). Let me preface my remarks by assuring you, dear reader, that no matter how hideous and reprehensible Jim’s comportment was back in those days, he has since become a contributing member of society, a loving and caring husband and father and grandfather, and, as you can tell from reading his blogs, a true advocate for equality, liberty, and world peace. So no matter how sick or twisted a tale I tell, no matter what depraved and subhuman shit he might have pulled, please keep this in mind. People grow and this is America, dammit, the land of second, third, and 73rd chances! Besides, I’m pretty sure he’s probably gonna edit out all the demonic stuff and rewrite himself into some kinda saint and sign my name under it. ‘Coz that’s how this guy operates. (Actually, “Saint Jimbo” has a nice ring to it.) 
   But seriously, I first met Jim back in the early 80s when he was the bass player in a fairly successful local Milwaukee punk rock band, Politixs. I met him through the felonious Brian K---- (now, alas, deceased), who became the drummer for that band until the Munson brothers, who formed the other half of the band, and whose ancestors were big winners during the Norman Invasion, decided to move in the direction of industrial synth post-punk techno. Go figure. Jim quickly formed another band, The Uncalled Four, with himself as front man on guitar, Boz B---- on bass, some lead guitarist whose name I can’t remember, and the aforementioned criminal, K----, on the drums. When the lead guitarist had the good sense to decide to leave the band, Jim asked me to audition for the band, and I was in. So that TUF lineup practiced together a few times and then played all of one set at Scandals in Cudahy and another gig before that band imploded into gritty little fragments of fear, loathing, and multidirectional acrimony. I wish I could say Boz and K---- went their separate ways because of irreconcilable creative differences, but the bad vibes owing to other things over which history shall charitably draw a curtain were freakin’ palpable. Boz hated Jim, Jim didn’t trust K----, K---- hated Boz, Boz hated K----, and I was sitting there wondering WTF I had wandered into. So that was that. The only good thing to come out of that was that Jim had written some originals that were pretty damn good that we played for the rest of the decade and actually recorded at Cornerstone Studio in MKE. (I’ll come back to those songs later.) That, and Jim made the hottest chili on the planet and served it up with Guinness. He claimed he made the chili with Rocky Mountain oysters, but I disbelieve it . . . . 
   Sometime later, I invited Jim to come jam with my buddies, Jack (guitar, vocals) and Todd (drums, TODD-A-TRON™) in the Mushroom Lounge (Jack’s basement) and but with no plans for forming a band or playing out, just to jam and hang out. However, I’m sure from the get-go the malevolent and evil mind of TWO BUCK HOWIE was hard at work wondering how he could bend these naive and malleable creatures to his musical will, BWAA-HA-HA! Now, Jack and Todd and I had gone through a few band names, but at that time a friend had dubbed us The Mudsharks, and so when Jim came onto the scene, we started calling ourselves The Uncalled Mudsharks or sometimes The Uncared Four as a sarcastic nod to TUF. Jack and Todd and I had mostly just covered Neil Young and some rock standards, and we did some weird originals (we wanted to be the next Couch Flambeau), and when Jim came aboard, we continued in that vein for about a year, playing house parties and mainly just goofing around in the Inner Mushroom Sanctum, as we called Jack’s basement. It got crazy down in there and I used to jump up and down while playing guitar to give a certain élan to my performance, and I used to get pretty high with my jumps (heh, heh, heh) and once Jim pointed up at the rafters while I was leaping à la Pete Townshend to punctuate a rock ‘n’ roll ending, and when I looked up, there were all these rusty, gnarly nails protruding nastily down from the floorboards, on which I could easily have impaled my head giving me tetanus and rabies and turning me into a zombie and they would have had to chop off my head or something. So, thanks, Jim, for the heads up, as it were! 
   The other good advice Jim gave me years later before one gig was to tape the lyrics of the one song I was gonna sing to the monitor, but I just sneered at him saying, “I wrote the song, Howie—I’m not gonna forget the lyrics.” He just shrugged and said, “OK.” Sure enough, that night up on stage, I got brain freeze, forgot the second and third verses, and had to sing the first verse three times. Embarrassing. 
   Jim and I started teaching Jim’s originals to Jack and Todd—remember, this was all part of his diabolical plan to infiltrate our minds--but we also interspersed them with our own stuff that the whole band composed (no, that’s the wrong term—Bach and Beethoven composed—we mainly just spewed). We wrote and performed ditties such as “Boll Weevils” (no, not that “Boll Weevils”; no, not that one, either), “How Many Eggs Do You Want, Ricky?” “Aladdin’s Hymn,” “Admarski Blues,” "Noise Suite #37," and the infamous “Lorsban 15-G,” an instrumental based on the popular insecticide. Eventually, however, Howie’s hoodoo took effect and we began playing more of his originals interspersed with some punk stuff and some 80s stuff like The Cure and The Church, but also still some Neil and other little shanties like “Steppin’ Stone” and “Sweet Jane” thrown in. We played our first gig with this lineup in the fall of 1985 at Camp Wowitan (a farm out in the sticks that had been converted into campgrounds), appearing as DEF-CON 4 because the guy who was making the posters for the event couldn’t remember what the name of our band was—he just knew it had a “4” in it--and those were the dark ages of rotary phones and only the filthy rich could afford answering machines and many peasants starved or were made into bricks by the fabulously well-to-do, who also exercised the lex primae noctis quite regularly. (Bricks, people! Historically accurate, look it up.) We played atop a haywagon—I shit you not—and I was almost electrocuted to death when my dangling guitar strings (I didn’t trim them at the headstock back in those days because it was hippy chic not to) grazed the mic I was about to sing into and a fireball exploded right in front of my face. That was back in the bad old days before three-prong plugs, and ya took yer life in yer hands just plugging in yer guitar. When the fireball exploded, the beer-sozzled groundlings thought it was part of the light show and cheered. They probably woulda cheered even harder had I actually been electrocuted, those crazy Milwaukee kids. So, with Howie fronting us, the gig went fairly well except for the near-electrocution and the weird harmonica warblings which had no place in the proceedings and we later had the guy making them excommunicated from the band even though he was a nice guy and was supposedly going to be our band manager. But bad harmonica playing cannot be forgiven, I’m sorry. I can’t remember much after that except we woke up the next morning hung over, provisionless and starving, so we went foraging up in the hills and ate some crabapples to tide us over until we packed all our gear into one wee car and skeedaddled back into the big city. 
   We started rehearsing more “seriously” (very scary scare quotes) and Jim whipped the band into shape with his wheedlings and cajolings and bon vivant encouragements whilst plying us with psychotropics, which we were nothing loath to accept. A few months later, a lean and mean rock machine, we played Club Garibaldi in Bay View, which is a neighborhood on Lake Michigan in MKE, and that was the gig that Jim’s brother Al memorialized forever in his video. Forever, people. Except for our final encore song (Alice Cooper’s “Under My Wheels,” during which Jim went into his zombie act), Jim was on point that night, which is to say he was mostly sober despite the fact that it was his 30th birthday party; which relative sobriety I consider as a miracle right up there with the lágrimas de sangre of our Lady of Guadalupe or Soupdujour whoever. His timing, his banter, the scream on “Don’t Take the Children” (Jim’s rock ‘n’ roll screams sounded like he was being strangled and having a hernia at the same time—crude, but effective), his bass playing, all aces. One thing though—and there always is at least one thing, ain’a?-- our sound was at times hideously marred by treacherous acts of sabotage by the putrid band that opened up for us, the little bastards. After the gig, Jim explained to me as I listened, horrified, that bands did that to each other back then to make themselves look better. WTAF?! They were messing with the PA and smirking about it, and during one set, the echoes and wild banshee feedback made it almost impossible to sing, but we plowed through anyway, quite heroically, if you ask me. Miraculously, Al did not record those songs and most of the ones he did record were at tolerable levels, but the PA system, even without the dirty work of those little creep saboteurs, sucked and we couldn’t hear the monitors, which we complained bitterly about from the second song on. And yet Jim graciously thanked the asleep-at-the-wheel PA guys at the end of the night for the sound. Yeah, thanks a lot, you hoodlums! The important thing, though, is that we had people up offa their asses and dancing and having a raucous good time, so all’s well, eh? And Howie's adoring fans were half heckling him and half wishing him a happy birthday, which was pretty funny. We would consider it an insult if our fans didn't care enough to heckle us. When we were first jamming at a house party at The Mushroom Lounge, one of our friends said after we finished a song, "Hey you guys should be a band or somethin'." It was the "or somethin'" that got me. 
   And even though we weren’t The Politixs, Jim had us do some political songs. Two original songs we played were “Don’t Take the Children,” which lamented the breakdown of the nuclear family owing to drug addiction (and even has a “rap” break in the middle—white boys rapping in the mid-80s? Bite it, Insane Clown Posse and Limp Bizkit!); and “El Salvador” was an attack on the Cold War proxy militarism of the US and Soviet Union, who jointly precipitated the Salvadoran Civil War of the 1980s. Very Clash-esque. Talk about yer progressive lyricism! Never mind that many of the other songs featured and even (ironically? who knows?) valorized such disparate anti-social activities as drug-taking, drug-smuggling, cannibalism, homicide, mindless cruising for chicks, demented states of mind, the “desesecration” of nuns, the heartbreak of psoriasis, and did I mention cannibalism? Nothin’ to see here, folks, just move along. But it was all for a good cause, as all the proceeds from that night went to feed poor little El Salvadoran refugees—leastways, whatever proceeds were left after the band paid our bar tab. Anyway, that’s our story and we’re stickin’ to it. 
   Thus endeth installment one of “TWO BUCK HOWIE: THE MAN, THE BAND, THE MUSIC, THE LEGEND.” If you liked what you read, click on some ads and stuff and earn Howie one one thousandth of a drachma or whatever they’re paying blog sites these days to get people all riled up and whatnot. Next time we’ll deal with the parabola and apex of the Howie rock 'n' roll years when we cut our studio album, White Cars! But you'll also hear along the way about the casualties of rock 'n' roll. And lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Oh, and turn off the lights when you leave, please.
This is,
The Author Is Using A Pen Name To Protect Innocent
Bystanders
Jim Hauenstein
 
 P.S. No one was ever hurt during one of our performances.
Unless of course,
you consider destroying a few hundred-thousands of their brain cells because of the loud
MUSIC
and alcohol use.
 
And,
 
“If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC”
- Kurt Vonnegut -
 
That is my story and I am sticking to it!

Like what you are reading?
Sign up as a Follower,
or leave a Comment.
If it's worthy enough,
I'll answer you in a Post.

Thanks for reading.

Be Kind To Everyone.

I'll Be Seeing You!

No comments:

Post a Comment