About Me

My photo
Hello my fellow Politiores Troglodytes. This Blog is a collection of Posts, Poems, & Short Stories that I write on a daily basis. If you find it entertaining, informative, and controversial, then I have done my job properly. Thank goodness too, because Karma has been on my case of late. I'm supposed to bring fifty people into the fold or I'll have to give back the part of Einstein's brain I inherited. No, I'm not one of the Scientists who got a piece of his brain when he died. Karma said, "Eat this knowledge. It'll make you smarter!" The bargain I made with Karma was, if I could change fifty people into Politiores Populos, I would be rewarded with my very own Lamborghini. So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Like what you're reading, then read on. P.S. Populo is Latin for people. Politiores is Latin for educated. Troglodytes is English for troglodytes. And Einstein's brain was stolen by Thomas Stoltz Harvey after his death in 1955 and eventually divvied up into 240 pieces. If you just read that last sentence, then you have just learned something and I'm just that much closer to fulfilling my commitment to Karma!

Saturday, August 1, 2015

More Movie Magic

In June,
of this year,
I wrote a Post called,
In that Post,
I wrote down,
"My Favorite Top Five Movies!"
I also mentioned that,
"This turned out to be harder than I thought."
It was hard back then
and is still hard today!
If you are a
Connoisseur
of good
Red Wines,
then you know that there is a difference between
a
Beaujolais,
 a
Bordeaux,
 and a
Burgundy Wine.
Even though they are all made in
France
and they are all
Red.
You also know how good each one can be.
Movies are like that too!
I once worked for a great Company were I had to sell,
then install cable TV to Marines on Camp Pendleton.
I loved the job.
One of my pet peeves was when a Marine would tell me that he didn't want any of the Movie Channels because they repeated the same movies over and over.
For me,
I didn't understand this train of thought because,
Watching a Great Movie,
Is Like Listening to a Great Symphony!
To turn that objection around,
I would say,
"You''ll sit here and watch reruns of
"Gilligan's Island"
 over and over,
but you won't watch
"A Good Movie"

over again?
Well,
I'm going to suggest 
"Twelve Movies"
that any
"Movie Connoisseur"
should take the time to watch.
My first suggestion is the newest film of the group
and is the kind of
Adventure/Drama/Comedy Movie
that stirs emotions in one's heart. 
"Secondhand Lions,"
staring Michael Caine,
Robert Duvall,
and Haley Joel Osment.
In no particular order,
my second choice is the emotional roller coaster,
"Brian's Song,"
staring two dynamic personalities in James Caan
and Billy Dee Williams.
Number three,
the fun loving,
Cosplay inspiring,
"Rocky Horror Picture Show,"
starring the brilliant Tim Curry,
Susan Sarandon,
and Barry Bostwick.
My fourth pick is for the Horror Fans out there
and for all the Old Timers who will recognize what a wonderful cast of Actors,
that came together to make the film,
"The Abominable Dr. Phibes."
Starring the Great Vincent Price,
Joseph Cotten,
Hugh Griffith,
Virgina North,
Terry Thomas,
Peter Jeffrey,
Peter Gilmore,
Maurice Kaufmann,
John Laurie,
James Grout,
and
Doctor Who Alumni,
Ian Marter.
Number five,
"Our Man Flint,"
starring James Coburn,
Lee J. Cobb,
Edward Mulhare,
and every pubescent boy's dream
Gila Golan.
(I know, during the 1960s, for pubescent boys to stare at, there were the likes of Sophia Loren, Marilyn Monroe, Brigitte Bardot, Ursula Andress, and ....., but I liked Gila, OK?)
For pure intensity,
from great acting all around,
number six is,
"Taxi Driver,"
 starring Robert De Niro,
Jodie Foster,
Cybill Shepherd,
Peter Boyle,
and a unforgettable performance by
Harvey Keitel.
Seven goes to
Mr. Charisma
himself,
Steve McQueen,
and his movie
"Bullitt,"
also starring Robert Vaughn,
Jacquelin Bisset,
Don Gordon,
and a good role playing actor named
Simon Oakland.
Number eight is the brilliantly directed John Huston film,
"The Man Who Be King,"
starring Sean Connery,
Michael Caine,
the great
Christopher Plummer,
Shakira Caine,
and Saeed Jaffrey.
Number nine is,
"Salvador,"
starring one of my favorite actors in James Woods,
Jim Belushi,
and John Savage.
Hard to describe,
but a must see.
Ten is a Jack Nicholson staple,
"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest,"
also with a mean
Louise Fletcher,
William Redford,
Danny DeVito,
Christopher Lloyd,
Brad Dourif,
Michael Berryman,
and the silent
Will Sampson.
These last two movies star two of the greatest Actors,
in my opinion,
to grace the silver screen.
"They Shoot Horses Don't They,"
with the brilliant
Michael Sarrazin.
Also starring Jane Fonda,
Susannah York,
Gig Young,
and
Red Buttons.
Watching a young Michael Sarrazin act,
is not watching someone acting at all,
but someone becoming the character fully.
Finally,
"Tempest,"
 starring,
again one of my favorites of all time,
the great actor/director John Cassevetes,
with Gena Rowlands, Susan Sarandon, Molly Ringwald, Vittorio Gassman,
and Raul Julia.
John Cassevetes had the same,
on screen presence,
that James Dean had.
He just didn't have the good fortune to die
in a horrible car crash at an early age
and become Legendary.
OK,
now it is time to find a way to either,
buy or rent one of these movies,
sit down with your favorite partner,
open up a bottle of Red Wine,
and enjoy the next two hours of your life.
It's better then watching reruns of
"Gilligan's Island"
over and over and over again.
(I do like Gilligan's Island though.I really do. Please don't tell anyone.)

This is the Classic Movie loving Jim Hauenstein,

And,

“Everything I learned, I learned from the movies.”
- Audrey Hepburn -

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Like what you read, or don't like what you see,
become a Follower, leave a Comment,
set my Blog as your Homepage,
and I'll answer you in a Post.
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment